Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Operation No Vampire


Abiel you have had your days and nights mixed up for, oh, about 2 weeks now. It has been hell. I love you more than air, but, getting no sleep at night has not been easy. Im sure you don't mind that you sleep all day, but, my love, I can't! I've done everything that all the books recommend, that all the other moms recommend. Cereal in your bottle, taking you to stores at 1am to see if looking at the sights/sounds will wear you out, I've even promised you a pony when you are 4 if you sleep now. No luck.

However, tomorrow it is very, very, very important that I am fully awake. Usually, these past few weeks, if I've had to do something, it was ok if I was kinda sleepy. I would drink a cup of coffee and be some what coherant for whatever it was that I needed to do and that would get me by. However, tomorrow, I cannot be even partially comatose. I have to be fully engaged. Why? Because tomorrow I am taking a SIX HOUR infant/child CPR class to learn how to take better care of you. I want to learn what to do in case you need help because of your breathing problems. I also know that you will be crawling soon...and walking shortly after that...and all this crawling and walking is going to lead to you sticking things in your mouth. Unspeakable things that I don't even want to think about right now. In case one of these things-that-shall-not-be-named hurts you, I want to be able to help you. Of course, I dont plan on allowing you stick things in your mouth, but, I havent met a mom yet whose child hasn't ingested something unsanitary. I want to be prepared, just in case. You mean more to me than life itself, and I want to know how to best protect you if I need to. I can't lose you, I need you so, so much. You are my gift, and I will protect you.

So, in order for all of this protection to happen. I have to pay attention in class. And, in order for that to occur. I have to sleep. Yesterday, you didn't go to sleep until 8am. I have to be in class by 8am!!!! So, today is Operation No Vampire. Meaning, little vampire, you are going to have to go to sleep at night and stay awake in the day like the rest of us mere mortals. :-) In order to accomplish this I have kept you up, aside from a very short 45 minute nap, from 1pm to now, 8:45pm.


This has not been an easy feat. We have watched shows, rocked, sang, dance and that was the fun stuff. The torturous part was that I gave you a bath, I kept you naked except for a diaper, I rubbed you down with a cold washcloth when you were extra, extra drowsy. Normally, I try to give you all your meds all at once, since medicine time is not your favorite time. However, today, I've spaced them apart to force you to wake up. Apparently, the nasty taste of zyrtec is a good stimulant.



Operation No Vampire is in it's final stages right now. I think I will give you a much deserved bottle, fresh pj's and a long, long cuddle. You are extremely exhausted and I hope that Operation No Vampire will be a success...here's hoping to wonderful sweet dreams for you tonight, AT NIGHT, my precious baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment